Tuesday, March 1, 2011

4 Ways - Portobello Mushrooms, Recipe 4


It's finally time for the fourth and final recipe of the 4 ways - portobello mushrooms feature! This last one is a little more ambitious than my previous recipes, but rewarding all the same. 

Recipe 4: Mushroom and Garlic Ravioli (from scratch) 
I've heard making pasta from scratch could be hard, but with my Monday classes canceled for the day, I thought I'd give it my best shot (fiiire aaawaaaay! Pat Benetar, anyone?)

Ingredients - 
For the dough (from go vegan meow!), makes 10 very large ravioli
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (and some for dusting)
1 1/2 cups semolino flour 
3/4 cups water
1 tsp EVOO (I'm channeling my inner Rachel Ray)

For the filling (makes 5 very large ravioli, could serve 2)
1 large portobello mushroom, cut into cubes
1/4 cup pine nuts 
4 cloves garlic (I love garlic, and these were definitely spicy)
Quick pour of EVOO
Pinch of dried basil leaves and oregano

-Simply mix all the ingredients for dough together in a large bowl and knead together until you get a smooth ball. Add flour or water as needed to get a nice doughy texture. Covering the bowl with plastic wrap, let it sit for 30 minutes. I got to work on the filling in the meantime. 


-Add all filling ingredients into a food processor and blend! It's that easy! The pine nuts were not completely obliterated, but I think that's a good thing -- it gave the filling some texture.

*right before processing

-Take the dough in pieces (rolling out the entirety of the dough gets too crowded on one cutting board) and roll into a thin sheet (emphasis on thin because mine were pretty thick and were way too filling)
-Use a small cookie cutter or glass to cut circles in the dough
-Scoop desired amount of filling onto the circle, then add another circle on top and press the edges together with a fork (make sure you flip it over and do the same on both sides)


-Cook in boiling water for 7-10 minutes and you have a pasta meal! 


I made mine large so 3 filled me up and I had plenty for lunch the next day (and then some). The recipe I pulled from on Go Vegan Meow (link above) made much smaller ravioli. This is a preference call. 

The amount of filling I made covered 5 ravioli. For the remaining ones I added together EVOO, pine nuts, soy feta and olives for a Mediterranean flavor. They were good, but the mushroom garlic ones still came out on top. Mushrooms are the champions, my friends. 


The finals are coming the finals are coming! May this week be filled with productivity and good food.

Busy and Full,
Kate








No comments:

Post a Comment