Monday, April 11, 2011

It's Poppin'.

Hello hello!

Work, school, and design competitions are taking over my life as of late. However, I've still been finding time to squeeze in a little pan-fryin'. There's always time for that.

On a side note, is anyone out there in the blogoverse as obsessed with Pushing Daisies as I am? Thank you to my roomie for introducing us! I watched the entire (and only) season in such a short amount of time, that it's embarrassing to say. I think I may watch it again.

Ready for some writing-magic? I'm going to tie these two complex thoughts together..

I had a really good night recently that involved jalapeno poppers, my favorite of fried foods, and Pushing Daisies! Don't believe me?


See! I told you!
This appetizer is really fun to make as long as you're wearing long sleeves, or actually have a deep fryer. 

Ingredients:
Fresh jalapenos, cut in half length-wise and gutted of most seeds (I leave in some for the spicy kick)
Tofutti Better-Than-Cream-Cheese, original flavor
Panko Bread Crumbs
Bowl of water
Bowl of Flour

-Cut the jalapenos in the long direction and gut as instructed above. Leave the desired amount of seeds inside
-Fill the "jalapeno canyon" with Tofutti
-Submerge the entire jalapeno half in the bowl of water (don't leave underwater too long, just enough to cover), then roll in the flour
-Let the jalapeno half dry for about ten minutes (I put them on a paper towl while I did the others)
-Submerge the half in water again, then roll in the Panko bread crumbs. Let dry.
-You may want to repeat the Panko step again to get it as covered as possible. 
-Heat a large skillet with raised sides, filled with vegetable oil
-When it starts to pop, add the jalapeno poppers and rotate about every 5 minutes until they are a golden brown color
-Let them cool on a paper towel to absorb some of the extra oil
-Eat those suckers!



These are feel-good.

Promise,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment