Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Baking Up a Storm!

Last night my co-ed fraternity had a potluck to wrap up the year, and as always, I volunteered to make dessert. At most potlucks, because there is nothing else for me to eat, I have delicious, sweet treats as a dinner. I don't do it on purpose, I swear. Okay, maybe I do.
This year my brothers actually did an excellent job bringing some vegan-friendly food (I've trained them so well!). There were strawberry salads and fresh potato wedges galore, but I couldn't end the night without some cupcakes and pie!


I take my new-found love for carrot-cake as a sign that I'm getting older. As a kid the thought of carrots and cake together seemed absolutely disgusting despite it being served on grandma's birthday every year (yeah, maybe that doesn't help the "only old people like carrot cake" argument"). I'll be sure to give this to my kids straight out of the womb to train them early. The cakes themselves are the perfect sweetness, and the vegan cream cheese frosting is the perfect complement. This recipe comes straight from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over World (I know, I know, buy it already). 


This cheesecake was a definite improvement from my first attempt in terms of firmness. The cookie crust was a nice touch, but a bit of warning, this is very rich and filling! I got this recipe from bittersweet and I'd definitely recommend it. 

You're pretty much set for any summer gathering, so get baking! 




4 comments:

  1. Beautiful recipes! You've got some will power! Being vegan seems very difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not so hard when you have sweets like these ;) you almost forget sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy! x

    p.s. I'm having a giveaway from gigi vintage if you'd like to check it out. :)
    devorelebeaumonstre.com

    ReplyDelete