Thursday, March 3, 2011

March Mushroom Madness continues...

This was totally unintentional, but last night I once again feasted with my good friend, the mushroom. Perhaps my subconscious responds well to clever alliterations referencing college basketball. Or maybe I just really love mushrooms. True love, indeed!

Get these:
 Really. Tasty. 
So because I had work last night and was feeling on the quick-n-easy side, I defrosted one of these babies and came up with a new creation. This may have transformed into a real burger real quick if only I kept hamburger buns on hand instead of a plethora of sourdough loaves. A girl's gotta have her sourdough.

Mushroom Melt
Ingredients - 
2 sourdough slices, lightly toasted with some Natural Balance (vegan butter)
1 Light Burger Mushroom Veggie Protein patty, cut in half and warmed with some cooking spray in a skillet
Raw (or cooked if preferred) onion slices
Jalapenos(of course, I feel like you know me by now)
Daiya mozzarella cheese, melted on top of the patty

See how I did that? Include directions in the ingredients? Efficient, it's my middle name. 

I served up this banging sandwich with some left over green beans and fresh sweet potato wedges. Oh, you want to know how to make those too? Well since I'm feeling generous...

Sweet Potato Wedges
Cut 1 medium sized sweet potato (or more if you're feeling really hungry) into long wedge shapes, started by cutting it in half long-ways. In a large bowl, combine a pour of veggie oil (very precise), some salt and a little red cayenne pepper. Toss the wedges in the oil mixture, throw onto a cookie sheet, and bake for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees F. They came out somewhere between soft and crispy, perfect for me! If you'd like them extra crispy, I recommend leaving them in another 10 minutes. 



Vegan Americana at it's finest,
Kate 

PS! If any of you reading this were considering veganism to lose weight, I wanted to share my most recent progress! I'm currently down 3 belt holes (yippie!) and my pants are getting pretty baggy in the legs. I'm officially down 17 pounds since I became a vegan on January 2, 2011.  :) 

 *Those black lines are from where the buckle previously sat. 

2 comments:

  1. can you just cook all this stuff up for me, freeze it, and ship it down here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. no joke...i'm going to become vegan! i just need to wait until i get some money!!

    ReplyDelete