Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Oops..

Has it really been 13 days? I swear that I have eaten these past two weeks, although in the midst of dead week and now finals week, it hasn't been much besides the occasional binge on sourdough pretzels, mixed nuts, and rice cream. Ummm...

You (all 6 of you!) may have noticed I'm in the middle of a little blog makeover. I figured as a design student I should probably make my blog more "design-y" (hey, I'm no english major). And that means minimal. This banner is only temporary until I complete a better one. Spring break project!

Anyway, back to my last two weeks -- to clarify for those that are unfamiliar with my strange terminology: Dead week (the week before finals) at Cal Poly is a big deal; the architects are in studio, day and night, every day and night, because our projects are due during dead week. All other majors basically camp out in the library. It's not a fun time, but we get through it with the help of a little comfort food!

My plan of survival for dead week was to make a large dish of comfort food to last me through the week. This plan was both successful and unsuccessful. It lasted about 4 meals, but honestly with each day the taste faded. It's definitely best on day 1, and I'd recommend this dish when serving a group of people.

I chose to make vegan mac+cheese because anyone who knew me b.v. (before vegan) knew I was a sucker for mac+cheese -- like literally when I was on my last $20 for the month I'd buy a costco case of kraft. Disgusting, right?

I like to think I'm reformed. A graduate of mac+cheese rehab.

I guess that would make this a relapse. But a much healthier relapse! And I'm okay with that. WINNING!



Ingredients: 
1 cups soy milk
3 packets nutritional yeast
2/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce (very salty, you can add less of this, or omit extra salt)
2 ounces block firm (not silken) tofu
2/3 tablespoon garlic powder
2/3 tablespoon paprika
2/3 tablespoon salt, optional
1 dollop mustard, optional
1 bag macaroni noodles (1 lb)

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
-Boil water and cook noodles until tender
-Combine all ingredients besides noodles in blender to make "cheese sauce"
-Pour over noodles in a baking dish and bake until crispy, about 15 minutes. Adding break crumbs would be divine, but I didn't have any at the time.
*Note: I added a little Vegan Mozzarella on top for some extra cheese. The same affect could be achieved with more yeast (a main component in the cheesy flavor!).


Hopefully my schedule will be readjusting itself soon, and more regular meals will surface once again. I will be traveling some in the next few weeks and will hopefully have some creative out-to-eat dishes to share!

Gotta get that Cheese Fix,
Kate 

1 comment:

  1. i made a similar mac n cheese for a christmas party last year. i used roasted red peppers to make it a bit more spicey but yours sounds really good too :)

    ReplyDelete