Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sweet, Crumbly, Banana Heaven

When my neighbor offered to give my roommates and I several bunches of bananas, I was skeptical. Don't get me wrong, bananas are my number one favorite fruit, but what was I going to do with several bananas, all nearing the end of their very short lives. Eat three at once for breakfast, of course!
I read a lot of crumble recipes and have to say I was not very satisfied with what I was seeing, so I decided to make one up myself. I'm not sure if it is a real certified "crumble", as I didn't bake anything, but what the heck, I'm running this show. So a crumble it is.

This breakfast treat is sweet and DELICIOUS, and I honestly could not take more than three snapshots before the drool was down to my knees and I had to dig in (slight exaggeration). Also, easy easy easy. I say that a lot, but really. This took me less than 5 minutes with virtually no prep-time.

Ingredients:
Three bananas, cut into circular slices
A spoonful of Natural Balance "butter"
1/2 cup oats
A spoonful of Brown Rice Syrup
A spoonful of brown sugar

-Start by heating up a frying pan and throwing in that spoon of Natural Balance. I let it melt, about thirty seconds, then cut up the banana right over the pan and letting the slices roll around in the pools of butter. Mmmm. I threw a little brown sugar over the top, but just a pinch, and the bananas instantly started to brown and get soft.
-Let the bananas sit about three minutes total while on the side in a small mixing bowl, add the oats, syrup (a natural sweetener that I have to say I don't use enough), and brown sugar. These proportions can be played with. I mixed it all up until I liked the consistency.
-Pour the bananas into a bowl, the oats mixture on top, and voila! You have a crumble! Sort of...


Eat it while warm, it's dangerously good, and could easily be a dessert also.
Try adding any other type of fruit you may have around! I imagine apples or berries would also be the bee's knees.

Still in heaven,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment