Saturday, April 23, 2011

Some beans, some kale, and some unconventional pudding.

Hello Blogoverse!

I'm in quite good spirits after a wonderful and much needed yoga session this morning followed by some hilarious episodes of Weeds. I've got some lunch ideas on the brain, but in the meantime, I thought I'd share a good meal.

Been trying some fun recipes this week! I'd like to share my dinner from a couple nights ago. I did not make up any of these recipes but I did make some slight adjustments.


That brown pile of deliciousness is the Lemon Garlic Fava Beans and Mushrooms recipe from Post Punk Kitchen (once again, mad props Isa). Probably one of my favorite vegan recipes I've ever tried, no joke. The flavors were really multi-dimensional and so rich. A note of warning: don't watch television while you eat it, because the feeling of looking down to an empty serving with surprise is heartbreaking. Haha, I realize I always end up sharing my embarrassing relationships with food. No judgement.

The only tweek I made was cutting out the thyme, simply because I didn't have any, and I let the final product sit on the stove on simmer awhile while my rice was cooking to get it nice and thick. I don't prefer soupy, but that's a personal choice. I served over brown rice and it was filling and satisfying.

For my greens I decided to whip up some Kale Subzi from Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes because I had a ton of kale in the fridge. Silly me went out and bought fresh coconut just for the recipe but then forget to add it in at the end! So what we have here is coconut-less Kale Subzi, but delicious and healthy Kale Subzi regardless.

I topped it off with a big glass of almond milk. Oh yeah, get that good stuff.

You didn't think I'd forget dessert did you?! What kinda girl do you think I am?


Chocolate Pudding! Made from avocados! Wait.. what?
I've read some different recipes for this on the internet and was floored. I had to make it myself.
Vegan Chocolate Pudding 
(I won't even put avocado in the title because you can't taste it!)

Ingredients:
1.5 medium ripe avocados (because that's what I had), diced
1/3 cup raw agave nectar (or another sweetener of choice)
2-3 Tbsp pure cocoa powder (start with two and add for a more chocolate-y taste)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
A pinch or 2 of sea salt (to taste)
2 Tbsp water (I mixed the other ingredients first then added as I went to get the texture I wanted)
Sprinkle fresh coconut on top

All I did was combine the ingredients in my handy magic bullet and ta-da! This makes 2 servings, so my first attempt was without coconut, and the aftertaste of avocado was still slightly there (probably because I was thinking about it so much). On the second go, I added the fresh coconut and it made a world of difference. It added texture, masked the avocado flavor, and it was pretty to look at.
You! Must! Try! This!

Experimentor Extroidinare,
Kate

2 comments:

  1. hey lady!
    I just found you site after seeing you comment. and am SOOO excited! I've just started 'trying' to be vegan this week (and eat about 50-60% raw)! I've been vegetarian only about 10 months now, but am quickly moving along to veganhood! So excited to check your blog more! yay :)

    xo, Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so amazing, congratulations on your switch! I really admire you going raw.. that would be difficult for me. But I thought vegan would be difficult too and I'm in my 5th month. :) Blogs are such a great vegan support since I don't have many friends that are vegan!
    I'm a big fan of that which we call life! I'm still new to blogging myself although I'm a long-time follower. Any tips for someone just starting out?

    Kate

    ReplyDelete