Thursday, April 28, 2011

Celebrating with a Vegan Reuben!


I have good news, friends! I'm officially going to be studying at the Bauhaus in Dessau, Germany next year!!! For my readers that aren't architectural nerdies, this place is packed with history and to actually attend a place I've learned about in class is insane. I couldn't be more excited. The whole going abroad scenario has been such a roller coaster of a ride, with mostly downs, but it will all be worth it when I'm exploring Berlin, Dresden, and the many other cities and countries I hope to dip my toes into. Eeeeeep! (I actually squeal like this when I'm crazy excited. It's weird).

I'll most likely be making another blog to document my travels, but more on that later. I have plenty of time to set that up, and it will more of a travel journal than anything for myself and my family to look back on when I have to re-assimilate into American society again. Dessau is a very small town (smaller than my hometown!... which is small) and the locals do not speak English, so I've already got my interactive cd's ordered. If anyone has any German to teach me, please share!

To celebrate, I decided to create my own version of a Vegan Reuben. While the origin of the Reuben Sandwich is a little hazy, it is said to have been invented by a German (possibly in the US?) in the 1940's, and it includes one of my favorite German ingredients: sauerkraut! I simply don't know enough dishes that include this treat, but hopefully while abroad I can pass on some recipes that will be more authentic than this one. I've seen many Vegan Reuben on the blog scene but I think mine's pretty darn good, so give it a shot and you won't be disappointed. :)


Ingredients:
Rye Bread (this really makes the sandwich, I swear it) 
Earth Balance spread
Tofurky, smoked flavor (amount desired)
Dash of olive oil
About 2 spoons Sauerkraut
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 of an onion, diced (or desired amount)
Veganaise spread
Pinch of pepper jack flavored Daiya "cheese"

I used both a small frying pan and griddle for this sandwich. I started by throwing the garlic and onion into an oil-greased frying pan for about 5 minutes. Once browned, I added the sauerkraut just to warm it slightly.
In the meantime, I spread Earth Balance on one side of each rye slice, then Veganaise on the other. I placed the EB side down, V side up. I added tofurky slices to one slice, then added the sauerkraut mixture on top of that. 
Add a pinch of Daiya, and then put the empty rye slice on top and press. Flip and press again. 
Serve with a side of fruit or kettle chips, and enjoy! The bread and sauerkraut really make that classic reuben taste that I love so much!

Got to run to work! Auf Wiedersehen!
Kate

1 comment: