Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wraps at Sunset

I've been trying new products lately! Hooray for me! I will do a little showcase and review of these products later this week. I think I can attribute my experiments to finally starting to become comfortable with the vegan lifestyle. I'm at a point where I can view it as a part of who I am, and not just as a diet.

However some sad news: I'm still waiting to hear back from my university as far as where I'll be studying abroad next year, and chances are I may have to take a vegan break during my travels. I'm sad by this... I have become so accustomed to feeling light and guilt-free about the origins of what I put on my plate, but I know if I were to live with a host family, or in a country where I don't speak the language, being picky about my food may not be an option. I'd like to think that foreign countries (at least in the lesser populated areas that I could be living in like Dessau) treat their animals with more respect than the money-hungry Americans that push livestock through death rows with a blindfold on. I'll have to do more research on that and get back to you.

So far my living situation for next year comes down to:
Copenhagen, Denmark (one of the most environmentally friendly places in the world!), 1 year
Florence, Italy, 1 year
Dessau, Germany, 7 months
Canberra, Austrailia, 1 year
Switzerland (traveling class), 10 weeks

Every afternoon I come home from school, day-dreaming about living abroad and my stomach literally does somersaults. So I do the practical thing, and feed my turning stomach with good food!

One night this week I made some veggie wraps and spicy sweet potato wedges (made like any other potato wedges, but with the addition of a lot of sweet cayenne pepper, mmm). I got the wraps at a local Asian market next to the nori and I had to give them a try. They are great for on the go because they easily fit in a to-go container, and they can be filled with anything!




Some of my favorite combos:

Fresh carrots (peeled)
Romaine lettuce
Sprouts
Lemon juice
Sesame wrapper

Avocado (good with everything, let's be real)
Spinach
Tofutti cream cheese
Sprouts
Yellow wrapper (I'm not exactly sure what the flavor was! But I'll reveal it on my product post)


Happy eating, and dreaming!
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment