Friday, April 1, 2011

Happy April everyone! Sorry I've been gone so long, once again. This past week was my university's spring break, and I spent mine in snowy, cold Minneapolis. It's not the typical spring break location, filled with beaches, booze, and booty. And by that I mean treasure. Many tropical locations have hidden treasure.

You sick minded people.

 I was in Minneapolis for a co-ed fraternity convention, and one would think it would be difficult for a vegan to eat in a convention setting; I believe I was one of two vegans out of 150 people! But once again, veganism proves itself to rule harder than ever. Someone at every meal expressed jealously over my creative dishes. Who needs soggy piece of fish when you could have sweet tomato and tofu curry? Who needs plain old white cake when you could have a giant martini glass of fresh berries and raspberry sorbet? I could go on, but you get the idea. Us vegans even got different dishes from the vegetarians, which is strange and seems to cost more for the caterers, but whatever. Vegans 1, Everyone Else 0.

There was one night where dinner was not provided for us, so I convinced my hotel roomies to venture into the freezing cold in search of a vegan restaurant. I have to admit I was skeptical, considering vegan almost seems like a foreign word outside of hippy California, but we ended up finding the most delicious vegan pizza I've ever tasted!

Let me now present...
Pizza Luce Downtown! in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

I started off with the "cheesy" garlic bread that was made with a tofu-nut mixture. It was SPICY! But the chronic heartburn was so worth it. 


As a main dish I got the Athena Pizza: Their special cheese substitute, spinach, olives, artichoke hearts, and tomatoes, all on a garlic-y crust. 


The environment of the place was just too cute. High bar stools, local art for sale, and a sports bar, it definitely had a warm vibe. And look at those to-go boxes! Mm! My friends opted to get the all-meat pizza, of course. Sigh, carnivores. But it goes to show this restaurant is perfect for anyone and everyone - they even had gluten free options. BIG WIN!


This place definitely got my mind working on some new creative pizza ideas.

In other news, I just hit my -20 lbs mark today! I've been stuck in the 15-18 lb range for a while so it was a big surprise when I hopped on the scale this morning. And I just came back from a vacation... What what?! I'm feeling more motivated than ever to work out harder and watch my sugar intake for the upcoming bikini season. Yesterday the central coast reached a whopping 80 degrees and the beach was covered with tanning, swimming, college bodies. And to think it all worked out on what happened to be a school holiday as well!

Thank you, Mother Nature. You're the best, and I love you,
Kate

1 comment:

  1. Sure Kate, continue to rub it in how you food was wayyyy better than us none vegans :P And just so everyone know's, the ALL MEAT pizza was called THE BEAR and it was delish...but so was Kate's cheesy bread :/

    ReplyDelete