Monday, May 9, 2011

Vegan Cheesecake?

We'll start this post with a little title correction...


I learned a very important lesson this past weekend. When taking a recipe off the internet, read the review and comments first. :)

I've been looking at vegan cheesecake recipes for the few days prior of making this beauty, and they all had very different ingredients. I chose this one because the ingredients were the most simple and I already had a majority of them. However, if I would have read the comments, I'd know that it tended to be runny. One of the comments suggested added some cornstarch to thicken it up.

In a last minute effort to save this cheesecake, I added a small tub of vegan cream cheese that I had in the fridge because surprisingly it didn't have any sort of cream cheese at all (a lot of the other recipes did).

I've never made a cheesecake before, vegan or not, so I had my roommate taste it for accuracy. While he said it didn't taste like cheesecake, it was delicious and could easily pass as a custard. Well shoot folks, look at that; the custard pie was born!

Graham Cracker Crust (I got this recipe from my off-brand graham cracker box)
Ingredients 
-10 graham crackers
-1/2 cup canola oil
-1/2 cup pure maple syrup
-greased pie tin

Simply add the crackers, oil, and syrup into a food processor until the graham crackers are a fine texture. Press the crackers into a greased pie tin and then cover with desired filling! This crust has a maple flavor, so account for that in complement with the filling. Also, wearing a glove (or my ghetto version, wrapping your hands in plastic wrap) helps to keep the crust from sticking to your fingers.

Custard Pie Filling (adapted from the recipe linked above)
Ingredients
1 pound soft tofu, drained
1/2 cup nondairy milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 small tub of Tofutti Cream Cheese

Again, mix the ingredients in a food processor or blender, and then pour into the crust. Bake in the oven at 350 for 35 minutes (or longer, if you feel it's needed). Let it cool and then leave in the fridge overnight. I added strawberries to the top, but experimentation with other fruit is encouraged!

Cheers all,
Kate

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried toffuti? Cause Tofutti cream cheese (not really) is a GREAT substitute for cream cheese recipes.

    ReplyDelete