Wednesday, February 9, 2011

African Sweet Potato Soup

I made this dish two nights ago, and oh. my. goodness. I ate it for dinner, then lunch, then dinner again. Yeah, that good. I can't say that all my cooking experiments end successfully, but this one was a winner and a half. You may look at the ingredients and think "Kate, you're no cook, you just got lucky with random ingredients". Think again, reader. Think again.
I adapted this recipe from Holy Cow Vegan Recipes, which is a blog I whole-heatedly recommend to everyone, vegan or not. Besides having amazingly creative recipes, she can also photograph her food well.. A skill I'm still working on. If my pics come out blurry and yellow, you'll still try it, right?



Ingredients
 
2 cups water
3 tbsp low-salt soy sauce
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and finely diced (I used 1 1/2 because my potatoes were medium sized)
2-4 small carrots, thinly sliced
1 can crushed tomatoes
4 tbsp chopped fresh herbs. I used cilantro, and I loved the complexity of it with the other flavors
3 tbsp peanut butter
2 tsp curry powder





Heat the soy sauce and 2 cups water in a large saucepan.

Add the sweet potatoes and onions and make sure they are mixed well, and cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions are softened.

Add the carrots and cook another five minutes.

Add the tomatoes, herbs, peanut butter and curry powder.

Stir, bring it to a boil, then cover and simmer over low heat for another 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are fork-tender.

Sprinkle more fresh herbs on top. I served it over a wild/brown rice combo.

If you'd like a heartier soup, use less water or add beans such as white or chickpea. They were in the original recipe as well as red pepper, but I didn't want to go out to store that night. And red peppers aren't really my cup of tea.

Power to the Soup People,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment