Sunday, February 13, 2011

"That cupcake wasn't vegan, it had a REAL oreo on it!"

Cupcakes. For those of you that really know me, they are a huge passion. They were one of my favorite things to bake, even before I was vegan, and when I thought I had to give them up, I may or may not have thought  my life would be over. But hey, vegans are superheros! We can do anything! And that includes making vegan cupcakes that don't only look like the real thang, taste as good/better than the real thang. Yep, "thang".
So far all of my cupcake recipes have come from this book by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I saw the book online, and bought it right away without even seeing what was inside. I mean check out that cover! How could a cupcake connoisseur like myself not be hooked? Anyway, I highly recommend this book, her recipes are easy to read and use pretty common ingredients (although it did take me walking down the same isle at New Frontiers four times to find molasses). My only critique: a lot of the recipes only make 12 cupcakes. Heck, I could eat 12 by myself, so I usually have to double everything. ;)
As I mentioned earlier, cupcakes are easy in the trickery department. I happen to have a very stubborn anti-vegan friend who ate my cookies and cream cupcake (maybe more than one even) and was in complete shock when I told him they had no eggs or butter in them. He insisted that Oreo on top was real (Thanks Newman-O's!). Mwahaha, tricked you Steve!
Enjoy cupcakes with friends and loved ones this Valentine's day! <3





*Sorry about the blurriness.. still working on that whole food-photography thing.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm those look so good! Wish you had more pictures because they look so pretty :) Vegan cupcakes, cookies, brownies, etc. are all so good :) I made some vegan brownies for a Christmas Party and nobody could tell the difference. I used applesauce as an egg substitute. Have you tried that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some more pictures but they were all so blurry! I wish I would have been paying more attention when I was taking them two weeks ago.
    And I haven't tried applesauce, but I've heard of doing that. I straight up worship applesauce so I may have to get a big jar to try it out. The peanut butter cupcakes (which actually were more like a muffin because they weren't as sweet, which is why I added chocolate on top :) ) had ground flax seed and molasses, which gave them a grainy texture that I loooved. The chocolate cupcakes had non-hydrogenated shortening and oil as a substitute. Super moist.

    ReplyDelete